Cookie For One



Have you ever eaten alone? If you have, how did it feel like? What were you experiencing or even thinking the whole time you were eating for one? Well, I had lunch for one last week and it was something different. I started out scanning for food to eat and thinking what I felt like eating that day. Surprisingly, I ended up with a big Cookie...or as I called it a 'Cookie Monster'.

I found a place to seat and waited patiently for my cookie to be heated up by one of the workers at the counter. As I sat there, I started to ponder on things that were going on in my life. "Where am I at this moment? Am I happy? Do I feel lonely at this point? What's next in my life? Where's my destination?" So many life questions…
Before I could answer myself, my cookie came. Yeay!

My first thought was “Wow…it’s so big. Okay...where do I start?” I probably stared at the cookie for more than 30 seconds before I decided to halve it. That’s done. Now what? I slowly ate the 1st half of the cookie and really took my time eating and thinking in between bites I felt a bit uneasy as I'm not really used to eating for one.  

Half way eating my 1st half of the cookie, I had a crazy idea. I was going to make my lunch time a blast. It was a crazy idea but I was going to do it anyway. So, with the remaining of the first half, I smashed it into tiny pieces until it looked like cookie crumbles. The 2nd half of the cookie, I tried to shape it into a smile and well… It did turn out somewhat like a smile. Haha… I was laughing to myself in public. Was planning to make a ‘Smiley Cookie’. *Picture below*

I did not even think of going any further than that Smiley Cookie because I remembered what my folks told me that one should not ‘play with food’ and the fact that there are people around looking was one of the reasons why I held back. But that did not stop the ideas from coming and very soon I decided to just go on with those ideas. I suddenly found myself having so much fun with my lunch. Somehow I convinced myself that I was not playing with my food because I was going to eat it all anyway. Hehe…
So the pictures below showed all the ideas that came that afternoon during my lunch break. I really had fun being by myself and enjoying every piece of that cookie.


Looking back on last week’s lunch I was reminded about my life:

The Monster Cookie is like life. Life is so big that sometimes you don’t know where to start. You can stare at it not knowing where to start or where to go. But you know you have to start somewhere or else you’re just nowhere.

There were a lot of ways for me to look at life and how to take on it. Similarly, there were lots of ways for me to eat that cookie. I could have just eaten it just like that without breaking it in half, I could break it into smaller pieces, I could have dunk it into a drink and eat it, I could have taken something like jam or a spread and spread it all over it and eat it, and the list goes on. But I chose to split it with the reason that I could still save the other half if I couldn’t finish the 1st half. In other words, playing safe. I did not know how I would finish my cookie. I didn’t even know if I could finish it. Honestly, I was a little stressed trying to finish my cookie.

The first few bites that I took were almost like I’m saying, “Yeah, this is my life. I’m just living and going through the motions. Not really living it.” I was just dragging on with life. No directions. No passion. No joy. No purpose. NO LIFE!

After a while, I thought: Hey… Do I want to choose to have a depressing lunch or an exciting lunch? …Exciting, of course! Right after I decided that, I couldn’t care less if people were staring at me or what they were thinking. Ideas and inspiration came pouring in at that moment when I changed my outlook. It was like a breath of fresh air that was breathed into me. Life seeped back into me and I was filled with excitement and joy. I still did not know how I was going to finish my lunch (whether I was going to finish it or not) but I knew it was going to be a GREAT lunch!

By changing my perspective I had hope and was looking forward to the things in my life. I was living. I was alive. I enjoyed every piece of my cookie and every moment of it and man, was that one of the best(est) lunch I’ve ever had…by myself! =D














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Watermark Designs

Watermark Me!

Have You Ever Thanked God?